Whether you want a handy food source for a pet squirrel or a delicious snack for yourself, this Healthy ‘Tail Mix’ Recipe does the trick. The proportions used are based on the nutritional values outlined in the Squirrel Food Pyramid. Even though they’re legumes, peanuts are included because they’re nutritionally similar to nuts and seeds. A squirrel will need about 3/4 cups of ‘tail mix’ every day.
Time: 5 minutes | Yield: 8 cups | Level: Very easy
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup raisins
* Choose ingredients that are as natural as possible, i.e., unsalted and unsweetened.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix until each ingredient is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container. Use within 1 year.